From: Eric Dodd
Date: Sat, Feb 9, 2019 7:34 AM
Subject:Re: [ahcs] IRIX installation party

Ok, we can do some IRIX installs at the next meeting.

If you want to try it without me let me know!

Thanks!
Eric
On Feb 9, 2019, 1:55 AM -0500, alan@..., wrote:

I ordered one, but it will not arrive for another 1-2 weeks.

-Alan

On 2019-02-08 22:22, Eric Dodd wrote:

Alan, were you able to get a serial cable for your SGI?

Thanks!
Eric

Eric Dodd

Alan, were you able to get a serial cable for your SGI?

Thanks!
Eric

On Feb 6, 2019, 12:37 PM -0500, alan@..., wrote:

I read the warning on PS/2 however I assumed all SGI keyboards were SGI pinout. So too late. The Indigo still boots but always complains it cannot connect to the keyboard.

I already ordered one of those converters you linked but will not arrive before meeting. I also don't have a mini-DIN to Dsub converter unless the Sun IPC/X version will work?

It has the R4400 @ 150 MHz CPU module but only basic graphics.

-Alan

On 2019-02-06 11:01, Eric Dodd wrote:

"Do not plug a PS/2 keyboard into the keyboard port! It's a trap!
I'm not exaggerating. If you connect a PS/2 keyboard to an Indigo, only one of them will survive."

You might want to pick one of these up:

Do you know what CPU it has?

You also don't need a keyboard to work on it. You should be able to connect to the serial console via mini din 8 connector.

Thanks!
Eric
On Feb 6, 2019, 8:09 AM -0500, alan@..., wrote:

Hmm. I actually don't have a keyboard that works. I read the warnings about PS/2 keyboard and never connected one to the unit. I bought an SGI keyboard off eBay and it came in this week. I tried connecting it and it seems as if it's miss-wired. Doesn't work and the LEDs seem like they may be connected to data lines. Did SGI make PS/2 keyboards? Did I damage my Indigo 1?

Can anyone bring an extra keyboard to the meeting to test with?

Thanks,

-Alan

On 2019-02-02 18:02, alan@... wrote:

Hmm.. Funny you should bring that up.  I have a Indigo (1) that needs IRIX.  Was going to do it soon.  Looking like next Saturday then!

Thanks,

-Alan H.

On 2019-02-02 12:58, Eric Dodd wrote:

If there's any interest (and anyone with SGI hardware), I can assist with installing IRIX  during the next meeting.

I have a netboot host and media for 6.5.30 and 6.5.22.

Depending on the system, the install can take some time.

Thanks!
Eric

Eric Dodd

as well as a USB serial adapter. I can bring mine if needed.

It should be possible to install IRIX 6.5.22 on your Indigo.

On 2019-02-02 12:58, Eric Dodd wrote:

If there's any interest (and anyone with SGI hardware), I can assist with installing IRIX  during the next meeting.

I have a netboot host and media for 6.5.30 and 6.5.22.

Depending on the system, the install can take some time.

Thanks!
Eric

Kyle Owen

I'll bring my 4D35 with keyboard, mouse and monitor...if someone helps me load/unload it. :)

Kyle

alan@alanlee.org

On 2019-02-02 12:58, Eric Dodd wrote:

If there's any interest (and anyone with SGI hardware), I can assist with installing IRIX  during the next meeting.

I have a netboot host and media for 6.5.30 and 6.5.22.

Depending on the system, the install can take some time.

Thanks!
Eric

Andy Craig

You probably should confirm but it looks like there are PS/2 keyboards for other SGI products. The site below is usually correct but not perfect. I have found an error there before.

That is so weird for them to use +8v and -8v supplies.