Conversion to modern video - HDMI - Was CRT's

Raj Wurttemberg

On the subject of CRTs…  Our CRTs are dying and a few of the parts in them are not being made any more. Have any of you started getting the necessary hardware to have your vintage computers output to VGA or HDMI?  The old monitors used a 15 KHz signal and the newer VGA and HDMI screens need 31 KHz.  On my Amiga, I do have an internal device that uses a Pi Zero to output HDMI. I have a device on my C64 that converts the output to SVIDEO, and on the C128 and IBM PC, I have a device (BIT-C-128) that converts the 15 KHz CGA signal to VGA (sill 15 KHz) and then a scandoubler to output HDMI.

The two scandoublers I have are the GBS8200 ($29 to $34 on Amazon) and the HD-VC9900 ($37 - $47 on Amazon). Both seem to work very well.  I started with the GBS8200 which outputs VGA, but just recently switched to the HD-VC9900 which outputs HDMI.

This is the C-128 RGBI DAC connected to my C128:

Here is the HD-VC9900-V1.1 HDMI scan doubler:

Here is the output from my  C128 on my HDMI monitor:

and here is the output of the IBM 5160 CGA on the same LCD monitor:

Hope this helps.  Let me know if anyone has questions.

Thanks,

/Raj

Earl Baugh

I’ve been working on this as well since your first recommendation.  I’ve acquired three or four things now that should help me connect up a number of my vintage machines to modern monitors.

I’ve 3D printed cases for a couple as well.
Now if I can get to testing on my very long project list.  Sigh…

Earl

On Nov 14, 2021, at 5:03 PM, Raj Wurttemberg <rajaw@...> wrote:

[...]

Randall Kindig

I started that project years ago.  I have modern output options for nearly every machine in my collection.

You name the machine and I’ll tell you what I have.

Mr. Floppy Days

On Nov 14, 2021, at 5:39 PM, Earl Baugh <earl.baugh@...> wrote:

I’ve been working on this as well since your first recommendation.  I’ve acquired three or four things now that should help me connect up a number of my vintage machines to modern monitors.

I’ve 3D printed cases for a couple as

Raj Wurttemberg

Hey Earl!

Nice! Yeah, we’ll be leaving the area in a few years and I need to start pairing my collection down to just the essentials and I really don’t want to be hauling a bunch of heavy and fragile CRTs around. If I can get everything converted to HDMI, I would be happy.  I’m in the (slow) process of selling things off. Mostly on eBay for the maximum amount of profit… I want that new MacBook Pro 16”. :)

I need to get a 3-D printer…

/Raj

I’ve been working on this as well since your first recommendation.  I’ve acquired three or four things now that should help me connect up a number of my vintage machines to modern monitors.

I’ve 3D printed cases for a couple as well.

Now if I can get to testing on my very long project list.  Sigh…

Earl

Andy Craig

For old gear, I prefer the output of a CRT but I definitely understand there are issues with them. I'm curious to see if upscaling to 4K might yield a more-convincing reproduction, even simulating the curved screen.
I definitely want the CRT glow and the gaps between scanlines.

On Sun, Nov 14, 2021, 5:03 PM Raj Wurttemberg <rajaw@...> wrote:

[...]

Josh Litherland

Please share the STLs for the cases you printed.  I also have a Bit-C 128 and a Gonbes 8220 line doubler, but mine are lying naked in a box with all their wires and bits showing.  :-o

--
Josh Litherland (josh@...)