Topics

Adding Linux to a PDP-11

Raj Wurttemberg

Saw this and thought of our PDP enthusiasts.

https://hackaday.com/2018/11/15/adding-linux-to-a-pdp-11/

Really cool project!

/Raj

Sam Lysinger

I an surprised that netbsd does not yet run on it.  They’ve got a distro that works on the remade Colossus at Bletchly Park...

(I did not give up my flip phone, It was defeated).

On Nov 15, 2018, at 7:09 PM, Raj Wurttemberg <rajaw@...> wrote:

Saw this and thought of our PDP enthusiasts.

https://hackaday.com/2018/11/15/adding-linux-to-a-pdp-11/

Really cool project!

/Raj

Kyle Owen

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018, 16:18 Sam Lysinger <sam.lysinger@...> wrote:
I an surprised that netbsd does not yet run on it.

There's some older versions of BSD that run on some of the earliest PDP-11s, does that count?

They’ve got a distro that works on the remade Colossus at Bletchly Park...

Interesting. Do you have a source for this?

Thanks,

Kyle

Earl Baugh

I wonder if this could be the basis for drive emulation for the S-100 PDP-11 boards.

Sam Lysinger

On Nov 15, 2018, at 7:24 PM, Kyle Owen <kylevowen@...> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018, 16:18 Sam Lysinger <sam.lysinger@...> wrote:
I an surprised that netbsd does not yet run on it.

They’ve got a distro that works on the remade Colossus at Bletchly Park...

Interesting. Do you have a source for this?

Yes, but you need a Jacquard Loom to read the punch cards...  lol

Thanks,

Kyle

DavidKuder

It could, you’d need to redesign the physical layer since S100 isn’t unibus. But if you get the RL11 emulation mapped into the right address space it should work.