Topics

Arcades

Andy Craig

A friend told me there's a new arcade in town. He said "30+ arcade cabinets, Foosball, Air Hockey, Consoles from Atari 2600-PS3, and VR.  $11 per person for the day"

Flashback Games Marietta
2800 Canton Rd #1600, Marietta, GA 30066
(678) 903-5765

I love Portal Pinball as well. It's about 70% pinball and the rest is arcade video games.

Portal Pinball Arcade
3600 Cherokee St NW #102, Kennesaw, GA 30144
(470) 606-1956

Andrew Taylor

Looked them up on Facebook, they seem pretty awesome. I'll definitely have to check 'em out next time I'm down there! Semi-related, there's a place being renovated in my town (I live way up in Simpsonville, SC) and an arcade that looks very similar to Flashback is gonna move in one of the slots. Can't wait to finally have a proper vintage arcade near me

Earl Baugh

Is there a list of games somewhere? 
I didn’t see any... but would go and pay $11 for a few hours of tempest. 🙂

On Jan 14, 2020, at 4:14 PM, Andrew Taylor <andrewstm244@...> wrote:

Looked them up on Facebook, they seem pretty awesome. I'll definitely have to check 'em out next time I'm down there! Semi-related, there's a place being renovated in my town (I live way up in Simpsonville, SC) and an arcade that looks very similar to Flashback is gonna move in one of the slots. Can't wait to finally have a proper vintage arcade near me

John Czerwinski

The arcade is pretty close to where I live and paid a visit (excuse to get off the road and let rush hour died down).  They have about ~30 arcade games but No Tempest: Here's a small list of ones I played:

Galaga
Ms Pac Man
Millipede
Star Wars Trilogy
Asteroids
Rampage
Stargate
Williams multicade (Robotron, Stargate, Joust)
Donkey Kong
Wizard of Wor

They have a jukebox that was playing mostly 80s music, which was a nice touch! Also, have a bunch of retro home consoles.

The owner is a very nice guy.  Definitely recommend going there.

From: main@ahcs.groups.io <main@ahcs.groups.io> on behalf of Earl Baugh <earl.baugh@...>
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 8:26 PM
To: main@ahcs.groups.io <main@ahcs.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ahcs] Arcades

Andy Craig

Thanks for the report. Looking at some pictures on Google Maps the Galaga cabinet seems super tall. Do you remember if it was actually like that or maybe this picture is an optical illusion.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020, 6:36 AM John Czerwinski <johndczerwinski@...> wrote:
The arcade is pretty close to where I live and paid a visit (excuse to get off the road and let rush hour died down).  They have about ~30 arcade games but No Tempest: Here's a small list of ones I played:

Galaga
Ms Pac Man
Millipede
Star Wars Trilogy
Asteroids
Rampage
Stargate
Donkey Kong
Wizard of Wor

They have a jukebox that was playing mostly 80s music, which was a nice touch! Also, have a bunch of retro home consoles.

From: main@ahcs.groups.io <main@ahcs.groups.io> on behalf of Earl Baugh <earl.baugh@...>

John Czerwinski

Yep, it was one of the mega-size cabinets.  

The owner says he has another arcade in loganville (same name)

On Jan 15, 2020, at 8:49 AM, Andy Craig <andycraig@...> wrote:

Thanks for the report. Looking at some pictures on Google Maps the Galaga cabinet seems super tall. Do you remember if it was actually like that or maybe this picture is an optical illusion.

Galaga
Ms Pac Man
Millipede
Star Wars Trilogy
Asteroids
Rampage
Stargate
Donkey Kong
Wizard of Wor

<Screenshot_20200115-084820.png>

Andy Craig

I vaguely remember seeing Tempest at Portal Pinball but you should call them before making the drive because A) I don't trust my memory too much B) on any given day one or two of the machines are broken C) they sometimes cycle some of the games in and out of the arcade.

Actually, it's always a good idea to check their Facebook page or call before making the drive anyway because they sometimes close for private parties.

Yeah I know Facebook is the suck but I keep an account just for things like this. None of the companies are posting this info to Usenet. 😛

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020, 8:49 AM Andy Craig via Groups.Io <andycraig=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Galaga
Ms Pac Man
Millipede
Star Wars Trilogy
Asteroids
Rampage
Stargate
Donkey Kong
Wizard of Wor

Bill Barker

It's super tall.  I took my kids there over the Christmas break.  Highly recommend it.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 8:49 AM Andy Craig <andycraig@...> wrote:

Galaga
Ms Pac Man
Millipede
Star Wars Trilogy
Asteroids
Rampage
Stargate
Donkey Kong
Wizard of Wor

--
Bill Barker

Jesse Beard

I also live very close to this arcade and I went in when they were still setting up. The owner gave me a small tour and is indeed a very nice guy. They have a lot of great machines and even old consoles and a pretty decent library of older console games if that's something you are into. They also have modern stuff like a room with a few PSVR and some newer consoles.

The only downside is they don't serve beer!

You pay by the day (all machines are in freeplay mode) so you could easily play for a few hours, go get a drink or lunch, and come back and play some more.

John Czerwinski

Sounds like we need to have a field trip

On Jan 15, 2020, at 12:01 PM, Jesse Beard <jessetroybeard@...> wrote:

I also live very close to this arcade and I went in when they were still setting up. The owner gave me a small tour and is indeed a very nice guy. They have a lot of great machines and even old consoles and a pretty decent library of older console games if that's something you are into. They also have modern stuff like a room with a few PSVR and some newer consoles.

You pay by the day (all machines are in freeplay mode) so you could easily play for a few hours, go get a drink or lunch, and come back and play some more.

Andy Craig

Field trip? I just bought an RV so I can live in their parking lot. You can stay there but I will sometimes ask you to give up the kiddie pool for a moment. The RV potty is broken and sometimes I have to "go for a swim".

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020, 12:17 PM John Czerwinski <johndczerwinski@...> wrote:

Ian S. King

I'd say, as long as the fridge will keep the beer cold, you're golden.  

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 9:48 AM Andy Craig <andycraig@...> wrote:
Field trip? I just bought an RV so I can live in their parking lot. You can stay there but I will sometimes ask you to give up the kiddie pool for a moment. The RV potty is broken and sometimes I have to "go for a swim".

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020, 12:17 PM John Czerwinski <johndczerwinski@...> wrote:

--
Ian S. King, MSIS, MSCS, Ph.D. Candidate
The Information School
Dissertation: "Why the Conversation Mattered: Constructing a Sociotechnical Narrative Through a Design Lens

Principal Investigator, "Reflections on Early Computing and Social Change", UW IRB #42619

University of Washington

There is an old Vulcan saying: "Only Nixon could go to China." 

Andy Craig

No Tempest but here's what I saw. This list is from a quick video I shot and I know I missed at least three due to fuzzy video quality. Also, there's another room I didn't go in. I'm told it has CRTs and older home consoles. 

Gyruss
Arkanoid
Ms Pacman
Rampage
Wizard of Wor
DigDug
NeoGeo multi
Galaga
Sega Turbo
Millipede
Golden Tee
Stargate
Time Pilot 84
Street Fighter 2
Star Wars Trilogy
Asteroids
Nintendo multi
Mortal Kombat 4
A DataEast wrestling game (unsure of the name) 
Galaxian
Moon Patrol
Cruisin Exotica
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 
NBA Jam

PS4 VR
XBox
Playstation
Playstation 4

Air Hockey
Foosball
Hockey

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020, 3:54 PM Andy Craig <andycraig@...> wrote:
A friend told me there's a new arcade in town. He said "30+ arcade cabinets, Foosball, Air Hockey, Consoles from Atari 2600-PS3, and VR.  $11 per person for the day"

Flashback Games Marietta
2800 Canton Rd #1600, Marietta, GA 30066
(678) 903-5765

I love Portal Pinball as well. It's about 70% pinball and the rest is arcade video games.

Portal Pinball Arcade
3600 Cherokee St NW #102, Kennesaw, GA 30144
(470) 606-1956

Andrew Taylor

No Xevious or Daytona USA?

welp so much for that

Andy Craig

Decoding my fuzzy video I figured out a few more. 

Q*Bert
WWF Wrestlefest (not a DataEast game) 
Tekken 3

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cabinet seems wrong but who knows? 

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020, 10:49 PM Andrew Taylor <andrewstm244@...> wrote:

welp so much for that

John Hannafin

Do you have pictures of the TMNT cabinet?

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 7:45 PM Andy Craig <andycraig@...> wrote:

Q*Bert
Tekken 3

welp so much for that

Andy Craig

Here are a couple of screen captures from my lo grade video. I am not certain it was TMNT but it certainly reminded me of it, though it appears to be a modified cabinet from something else with two stations instead of four.

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020, 10:11 PM John Hannafin <john.hannafin@...> wrote:

Q*Bert
Tekken 3

welp so much for that

John Hannafin

It's one of the TMNT games (2p variant) running in a Killer Instinct cab.

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020, 8:45 AM Andy Craig <andycraig@...> wrote:
Here are a couple of screen captures from my lo grade video. I am not certain it was TMNT but it certainly reminded me of it, though it appears to be a modified cabinet from something else with two stations instead of four.

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020, 10:11 PM John Hannafin <john.hannafin@...> wrote:

Q*Bert
Tekken 3

welp so much for that