Topics

Cemetary of Soviet Computers

Ben Bradley

Here are some computers you might not have seen before.

https://rusue.com/cemetery-of-soviet-computers/

Andrew Taylor

That would be fun to go plunder/salvage through, but man, imagine the cost of hauling some of that back to the states xD

Bradford

12 bit with ferromagnetic memory?

What weird stuff.

-- Regards, Bradford

Andy Craig

20 years ago at an airshow, they had a P3 Orion sub hunter airplane on static display. I was oggling the computer and its magnetic core memory and the guy told me they still use it. I tended to not believe him but still wondered. Maybe it can handle EMP better than modern stuff?

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 4:18 PM Bradford <bradford@...> wrote:

12 bit with ferromagnetic memory?

What weird stuff.

-- Regards, Bradford

Raj Wurttemberg

Ex-Navy guy here… Yep, that’s exactly it. The mated film memory (MFM) and ferrite core memory have less chance of being damaged by an EMP. The EMP might cause a reboot and a reload, but we could be back on-line in 10 to 15 minutes (mag tape).

Thanks,

/Raj

20 years ago at an airshow, they had a P3 Orion sub hunter airplane on static display. I was oggling the computer and its magnetic core memory and the guy told me they still use it. I tended to not believe him but still wondered. Maybe it can handle EMP better than modern stuff?

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 4:18 PM Bradford <bradford@...> wrote:

12 bit with ferromagnetic memory?

What weird stuff.

-- Regards, Bradford