Topics

Commodore 64 game identification

Andy Craig

Does anyone remember a C64 game where you are a wizard running around in caves (side view)? The background music was classical music from Grieg "In the Hall of the Mountain King?" I've been racking my brain and I just can't remember the game I used to play back in the day.

It's not the 1983 game Mountain King.

Thanks

Ben Combee

The port of Manic Miner to the C64 used that music, watch the video at https://archive.org/details/C64Gamevideoarchive30-ManicMiner

Andy Craig

There are loads of C64 games with that song but I finally found it... Doriath. Hooray!

I have been trying to remember this game for two years! Searches with the song were a deadend but Google image search took me to it. After trying text and image searches that include Wizard/Cave/Underground, it was found with Spelunker as the image search tool ascertained it had similar-enough imagery.

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021, 2:24 PM Ben Combee <combee@...> wrote:
The port of Manic Miner to the C64 used that music, watch the video at https://archive.org/details/C64Gamevideoarchive30-ManicMiner

Ed King

perhaps one of these...

- Manic Miner (in-game music)
- Dragon's Den (1st stage)
- Powerplay (title tune)
- Underwurlde (title tune)

found on:   https://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3320

On Monday, January 11, 2021, 2:04:02 PM EST, Andy Craig <andycraig@gmail.com> wrote:

Does anyone remember a C64 game where you are a wizard running around in caves (side view)? The background music was classical music from Grieg "In the Hall of the Mountain King?" I've been racking my brain and I just can't remember the game I used to play back in the day.

It's not the 1983 game Mountain King.

Thanks

Andy Craig

Yea that thread looked very promising earlier. Thanks for the help! 🕹️

On Monday, January 11, 2021, 2:04:02 PM EST, Andy Craig <andycraig@...> wrote:

Does anyone remember a C64 game where you are a wizard running around in caves (side view)? The background music was classical music from Grieg "In the Hall of the Mountain King?" I've been racking my brain and I just can't remember the game I used to play back in the day.

It's not the 1983 game Mountain King.

Thanks

Deadline CityXen

Doriath is the name of the game you're looking for.

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 2:48 PM Ed King <chevyiinova@...> wrote:
perhaps one of these...

- Manic Miner (in-game music)
- Dragon's Den (1st stage)
- Powerplay (title tune)
- Underwurlde (title tune)

found on:   https://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3320

On Monday, January 11, 2021, 2:04:02 PM EST, Andy Craig <andycraig@...> wrote:

Does anyone remember a C64 game where you are a wizard running around in caves (side view)? The background music was classical music from Grieg "In the Hall of the Mountain King?" I've been racking my brain and I just can't remember the game I used to play back in the day.

It's not the 1983 game Mountain King.

Thanks

Deadline CityXen

Glad you found it