Topics

Potential VCF location

Joseph Gilmore

Hey everyone,

I have a friend who is a Freemason and said his lodge in Chamblee has a large room available for rent. He estimates it's about 5000sf. They have about 25 tables and 100 chairs available. Rent is very cheap, probably less than $500, but we need to verify this. I attached a couple of photos of the room.

I can go take a look and get a better idea of the size. If anyone else is interested in seeing the space, let me know and I can coordinate it. My friend has a key so we can get in any time.

- Joe

@AtariLynxHandyCast

Hi, Joe:

I work in Chamblee and can probably view it with you during my lunchtime just about any day this week; just let me know what day works for you. Thanks.

Mark

Joseph Gilmore

Ok. We work in Norcross, so maybe we can plan an extended lunch break one day. Text me your phone # and we'll coordinate outside of this email thread.
404-561-8222

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019, 12:42 PM <markdlittle@...> wrote:
Hi, Joe:

I work in Chamblee and can probably view it with you during my lunchtime just about any day this week; just let me know what day works for you. Thanks.

Mark

@AtariLynxHandyCast

Joe and I visited the Chamblee-Sardis Masonic Lodge yesterday afternoon. It's at 5556 Peachtree Blvd, Chamblee, GA 30366.

Here are the pros and cons that I saw:

PROS:
Inexpensive: $500 for the full weekend, including Friday afternoon setup time
Tables/chairs included: About 25 6' tables, plus around 50 chairs (we can supplement with more tables/chairs)
Easy access to men's and women's restrooms
Kitchen at far end could be used for concessions/consignment
Main entrance could be used for ticketing (if needed); photos below show the main entrance (Joe got a panorama of the main hall which he will share later)
Accessible location: Within three miles of I-285 and five miles of I-85 corridor for easy access to hotels and restaurants
Viable speaker area: Upstairs in main lodge
More intimate venue: Lower ceiling and smaller space = less noisiness/echoing like that in previous cavernous venues
Plenty of free parking
Savings in rent could be used towards cheaper/free admission and/or speaker fees/lodging

CONS:
Much smaller footprint: Around 2300 square feet for main exhibit area
Soldering room: no obvious location for soldering stations area from what I could see
Power outlets: No drop-down or floor outlets; hall has only 8 outlets along the walls, with possible access to 3 more outlets in the kitchen at the far end

My bottom-line opinion is that the Masonic Lodge is a viable option for us IF we want to have a smaller and more intimate show. I've come up with lots of Pros in the list above, but the three Cons may outweigh all of them if a smaller show is not what we want to do. All of our members should consider what VCFSE 8.0 should look like and what goals it should meet; then we can discuss it on Saturday.

See you then! :-)

Mark

Andy Craig

+1 for having an oldskool payphone!

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019, 11:14 AM <markdlittle@...> wrote:
[...]

David Greelish

We could also potentially rent a tent to put at the entrance or right outside for extra space for soldering, concessions, sales, etc.

Happy Holiday Time!

Best,

David Greelish
Computer Historian, Writer and Producer of the documentary film, "Before Macintosh: The Apple Lisa” February 2020

ClassicComputing.com