From: main@ahcs.groups.io <main@ahcs.groups.io> On Behalf Of BE Arnold
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2019 8:49 AM
To: main@ahcs.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ahcs] US Nuclear aresenal no longer uses 8" floppy disks

All my money is on Nah.

All of the media will be burned in classified incinerators, and the hardware will
be crushed and then maybe melted.

Keith that’s mean getting people’s hopes up when you know exactly what’s
going to happen! ;)

Brad

Sent from my portable computing device.

On Oct 27, 2019, at 10:09 PM, Sam Lysinger <sam.lysinger@...>
wrote:

Somehow, i don't think those drives are going to be up for GSA auction...

On 10/27/19, Keith Watson <ahcs@...> wrote:
Does this mean we might see some 8" floppy drives on the used
hardware market?

keith

--

Keith Watson
ahcs@...
On 10/25/2019 17:01, Sam Lysinger wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/24/us/nuclear-weapons-floppy-disks.h
tml

Now they use secure solid state storage. PCMCIA storage... any bets?

Nathan Lineback

Although... perhaps any parts suppliers who would have sold to the
military, might now sell out any remaining stock at a lower price.

Jim wrote:

The 8" floppy drives embedded in that equipment must be thoroughly destroyed. After, they retain so must data on the read/write heads.
Jim