Topics

VCFSE 8.0 VENUE UPDATES - Post Progress Updates Here

@AtariLynxHandyCast
 
Edited

We need all members to help find a suitable and affordable venue for our Vintage Computer Festival SouthEast 8.0 next year.

Here's what we need:
  • We are looking for a location with 3K to 5K Sq ft of space.  We could go to 7K, but it would depend on cost. 
  • We would like to find a location on the north side of town, given our previous locations. 
  • We would prefer to be located either in or near a hotel.   I don't have a hard number on the number of rooms we might book.
  • We would like to be near some food/restaurants (or have something decent in the hotel)
  • We would prefer to have the location provide tables and chairs as part of the cost.  We would rather not have to arrange that separately.
  • We have a budget of $4K total (including tables and chairs)
  • We want to be able to get in on midday Friday, and out on early evening Sunday.
  • Date wise : Weekends of April 17 thru May 1; later in the summer would be okay as well. We would prefer to not be March 21-22 (VCF PNW), April 24-26 (VCF East), or May 9-10 (Mother's Day weekend).
Please post any progress that you've made (or are making) under this topic. I will check this topic daily with updates.

Thanks.

Mark

Ben Combee
 

Also, April 11th and 12th is Easter weekend in 2020. 


On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 10:40 AM <markdlittle@...> wrote:
We need all members to help find a suitable and affordable venue for our Vintage Computer Festival SouthEast 8.0 next year.

Here's what we need:
  • We are looking for a location with 3K to 5K Sq ft of space.  We could go to 7K, but it would depend on cost. 
  • We would like to find a location on the north side of town, given our previous locations. 
  • We would prefer to be located either in or near a hotel.   I don't have a hard number on the number of rooms we might book.
  • We would like to be near some food/restaurants (or have something decent in the hotel)
  • We would prefer to have the location provide tables and chairs as part of the cost.  We would rather not have to arrange that separately.
  • We have a budget of $4K total (including tables and chairs)
  • We want to be able to get in on midday Friday, and out on early evening Sunday.
  • Date wise : Weekends of April 17 thru May 1; later in the summer would be okay as well. We would prefer to not be March 21-22 (VCF PNW), April 24-26 (VCF East), or May 9-10 (Mother's Day weekend).
Please post any progress that you've made (or are making) under this topic. I will check this topic daily with updates.

Thanks.

Mark

Mark

@AtariLynxHandyCast
 

Thanks, Ben.

Everyone: April 11-12 is blacked out for the show.

Mark

Jim McClellan
 

I feel for some reason that my input some times get disregarded, as I never heard back from my first attempt, but if you want me to (and if a church is an acceptable venue), I have a friend who is the pastor of a large church in Woodstock. I am in touch with his event coordinator and there is a distinct possibility there is 5000-6000 sq feet available there.
Is this something I should pursue or should I not bother?

@AtariLynxHandyCast
 

Hi, Jim:

I would say YES; that would be great.

We discussed churches as possible venues for the show at this month's meeting on Saturday, and there would be no problem with that as long as the venue matches what we're looking for and it meets our budget. Our monthly meeting are held in a church, so that's not a problem. This venue sounds like it just might be what the club needs.

Please keep us posted here on the forum on how much luck you have talking to them. And if you need any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me (markdlittle@...). BTW, do you know if there are hotels close by the church? That would be a plus for out-of-town guests and guest speakers.

THANK YOU, JIM.

Mark

Jim McClellan
 

It's more on the 'rural' side of Woodstock between Canton and Alpharetta off of Arnold Mill. It is close to downtown Woodstock. Pardon my lack of knowledge of the area, but I'd venture to say there are hotels within a reasonable distance, yes. I'll email Kristi again with more details now that I know the dates and how long we'd need the venue.
I'm really hoping I can help out but no guarantees but there is a high probability it'll work if the specs of the venue fit our needs.
It is Momentum Church, 659 Arnold Mill Rd Woodstock GA.

On Nov 11, 2019, at 5:24 PM, markdlittle@... wrote:

Hi, Jim:

I would say YES; that would be great.

We discussed churches as possible venues for the show at this month's meeting on Saturday, and there would be no problem with that as long as the venue matches what we're looking for and it meets our budget. Our monthly meeting are held in a church, so that's not a problem. This venue sounds like it just might be what the club needs.

Please keep us posted here on the forum on how much luck you have talking to them. And if you need any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me (markdlittle@...). BTW, do you know if there are hotels close by the church? That would be a plus for out-of-town guests and guest speakers.

THANK YOU, JIM.

Mark

James Mahoney
 

so ive been in touch with ksu, let me know if these event prices will work, cant do the math right now (at work)

https://events.kennesaw.edu/pricing/KSU%20Facility%20Rate%20Sheet%20-%20Marietta.pdf

https://events.kennesaw.edu/pricing/KSU%20Facility%20Rate%20Sheet%20-%20Kennesaw.pdf

its gonna be a bit more for us for two reasons a) external entity, b) not non-profit

we *might* be able to finagle something with the administrators.

Michele & Mitchell Bolgla
 

Does anyone have a good connection with Dale Heatherington? He maybe able to help negotiate with KSU 


On Tuesday, November 19, 2019, 10:37:26 AM EST, James Mahoney <a11anmah0n3y@...> wrote:


so ive been in touch with ksu, let me know if these event prices will work, cant do the math right now (at work)

https://events.kennesaw.edu/pricing/KSU%20Facility%20Rate%20Sheet%20-%20Marietta.pdf

https://events.kennesaw.edu/pricing/KSU%20Facility%20Rate%20Sheet%20-%20Kennesaw.pdf

its gonna be a bit more for us for two reasons a) external entity, b) not non-profit

we *might* be able to finagle something with the administrators.

James Mahoney
 

I've also been in touch with the tabernacle (wild hare, but hey its an idea) but sadly its a no go, they want something like $20-$25K+ for said venue. ill keep looking about.

Jim McClellan
 

Well, I'd like to think I gave it a valiant effort. Momentum is a no-go as a Sunday tear down wouldn't work due to church services there.
I was really hoping I could contribute something like finding a VCFSE venue for the club. Grrrr......

Andy Craig
 

I wonder if a Saturday-only event would be a solution. 


On Tue, Nov 19, 2019, 12:07 PM Jim McClellan <j.mcclellan1964@...> wrote:
Well, I'd like to think I gave it a valiant effort. Momentum is a no-go as a Sunday tear down wouldn't work due to church services there.
I was really hoping I could contribute something like finding a VCFSE venue for the club. Grrrr......

Ben Bradley
 

I'm still in the Robot Club with Dale, though perhaps other members
could help more with KSU, I recall current president Len Burleson may
have also been president circa 15 years ago when we had one or two
Robot Rallies at the gym, and Denise Joyce was president when we were
last there, in a large conference hall, about 5 to 10 years ago. And
of course it was SPSU back then, not KSU Marietta.

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 11:08 AM Michele & Mitchell Bolgla
<bolglas@...> wrote:

Does anyone have a good connection with Dale Heatherington? He maybe able to help negotiate with KSU


On Tuesday, November 19, 2019, 10:37:26 AM EST, James Mahoney <@listofoptions> wrote:


so ive been in touch with ksu, let me know if these event prices will work, cant do the math right now (at work)

https://events.kennesaw.edu/pricing/KSU%20Facility%20Rate%20Sheet%20-%20Marietta.pdf

https://events.kennesaw.edu/pricing/KSU%20Facility%20Rate%20Sheet%20-%20Kennesaw.pdf

its gonna be a bit more for us for two reasons a) external entity, b) not non-profit

we *might* be able to finagle something with the administrators.

Jim McClellan
 

I'm almost reluctant to ask because I sense there is some tension w/CMoA but what's the story with having VCFSE there?
I work there weekends and Elaine mentioned there were some dates in April blocked out for VCF. I didn't say much because I didn't want to open a can of worms but what's the story? Is that out of the question? IMHO, you'd think that if someone has a computer museum, a vintage computer festival could only be beneficial to promote the museum but again, it's really none of my beeswax.