Topics

VCFSE venue & date confirmed?

David Greelish
 

Earl,

I don't mean to be a pest, but has it been confirmed now? We were waiting on the Amiga guy, right? Even if we haven't heard from him, may I make a motion that we go ahead and commit now? Thanks.

--
Best,

David Greelish
Computer Historian, Writer and Producer of the documentary film, "Before Macintosh: The Apple Lisa" February 2020

TheAppleLisaFilm.com

ClassicComputing.com

Kyle Owen
 

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 11:30 AM David Greelish <david@...> wrote:
Earl,

I don't mean to be a pest, but has it been confirmed now? We were
waiting on the Amiga guy, right? Even if we haven't heard from him, may
I make a motion that we go ahead and commit now? Thanks.

Is that to say, commit to having a show?

Why not plan to spend this year planning and saving for a show next year at another venue? The only downside to that as far as I can tell is that we may lose a little momentum, but at least this might give us a way to produce a show without so much in the way of out-of-pocket expenses from (very generous) club members, as has historically been the case. Are there some other downsides I'm not seeing?

If we are trying to be more like VCF MW and have a hotel/conference center for the show (which I think results in a lot more fun for everyone, speaking from personal experience), we ought to find a way to raise some money either by requesting donations, planning a Kickstarter again, or maybe getting some donated computers and having an auction. 

I think it would be very risky to have a show this year and plan to make money back from admission. If the venue costs $5k, and we charge $5, do we really think we'll have a thousand people show up? Let's double admission to $10; do you think we'll even get 500? I really want to be optimistic, but running this late into this year means we have even less time to advertise, and with VCF PNW in late March and VCF E in late April, what will VCF SE need to provide to attract such an audience? Much of this is of course moot if we end up finding a generous benefactor to pay for the venue, but that doesn't necessarily seem like a long-term strategy for success.

I would be much less leery of having a show this year if there were a well-defined plan, but given how busy many of our schedules are and how many moving pieces exist to produce a show in a shorter time frame...well, it just seems like it would be worth waiting until next year.

Just my $0.02.

Kyle

Michele & Mitchell Bolgla
 



Agree with Kyle. Or - could VCFSE be in the fall? That would allow for more time to fundraise, plan and promote. 
-Michele


On Monday, January 27, 2020, 01:45:38 PM EST, Kyle Owen <kylevowen@...> wrote:


On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 11:30 AM David Greelish <david@...> wrote:
Earl,

I don't mean to be a pest, but has it been confirmed now? We were
waiting on the Amiga guy, right? Even if we haven't heard from him, may
I make a motion that we go ahead and commit now? Thanks.

Is that to say, commit to having a show?

Why not plan to spend this year planning and saving for a show next year at another venue? The only downside to that as far as I can tell is that we may lose a little momentum, but at least this might give us a way to produce a show without so much in the way of out-of-pocket expenses from (very generous) club members, as has historically been the case. Are there some other downsides I'm not seeing?

If we are trying to be more like VCF MW and have a hotel/conference center for the show (which I think results in a lot more fun for everyone, speaking from personal experience), we ought to find a way to raise some money either by requesting donations, planning a Kickstarter again, or maybe getting some donated computers and having an auction. 

I think it would be very risky to have a show this year and plan to make money back from admission. If the venue costs $5k, and we charge $5, do we really think we'll have a thousand people show up? Let's double admission to $10; do you think we'll even get 500? I really want to be optimistic, but running this late into this year means we have even less time to advertise, and with VCF PNW in late March and VCF E in late April, what will VCF SE need to provide to attract such an audience? Much of this is of course moot if we end up finding a generous benefactor to pay for the venue, but that doesn't necessarily seem like a long-term strategy for success.

I would be much less leery of having a show this year if there were a well-defined plan, but given how busy many of our schedules are and how many moving pieces exist to produce a show in a shorter time frame...well, it just seems like it would be worth waiting until next year.

Just my $0.02.

Kyle