Topics

Weekend Repairs

Pete Rittwage

Went through and repaired my "stack" of C64's that were rescued over the last 10 years or so. A couple bad PLA's here, a couple of bad ROMs there, a couple with bad RAM, and we have a dozen working machines. Only a couple that need more work - a bad 8701 that is ordered, and a mystery one that passes dead test, but won't boot. It has no socketed chips so it will be a lot of work to pull the ROMs and VIAs. Dead test should have a ROM test added to it which could reduce my work a little. Pretty sure it's a VIA though because keyboard and joystick don't work.

-Pete

Jon Guidry

Several years ago, I got several C64 boards for spare parts.  We ended up getting a single working board out of three of them, which I then fitted into a reproduction C64-C case (and did install a homemade LED with resistor, homebuilt PSU from Ray Carlsen, etc).  I then got a second unit from Brad Arnold (C64C), and it works great as well.  (Except the disk drive, which I need a good known aligned working one eventually from someone.)

If you need the two board spares, let me know.  I do know there are either a couple bad and/or missing chips on them - Jim Brain helped me troubleshoot them at VCF-SE.  Better getting those working with either replacement or repro chips than ditching the boards.

Pete Rittwage

Hi Jon,

Sure - if you're going to toss them, please don't. I can repair them...

-Pete

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 09:35 AM, Jon Guidry <jon@...> wrote:
Several years ago, I got several C64 boards for spare parts.  We ended up getting a single working board out of three of them, which I then fitted into a reproduction C64-C case (and did install a homemade LED with resistor, homebuilt PSU from Ray Carlsen, etc).  I then got a second unit from Brad Arnold (C64C), and it works great as well.  (Except the disk drive, which I need a good known aligned working one eventually from someone.)

If you need the two board spares, let me know.  I do know there are either a couple bad and/or missing chips on them - Jim Brain helped me troubleshoot them at VCF-SE.  Better getting those working with either replacement or repro chips than ditching the boards.

Andre

How were you able to obtain a "stack" of C64s? Were they donated or did you buy a lot of them, or did you just hunt them down one by one.

Doug Dement

I’d be interested in buying a dead system from you have one with a 250407 board.

-Doug

On May 18, 2020, at 1:42 PM, Andre <andre.atlanta@...> wrote:

How were you able to obtain a "stack" of C64s? Were they donated or did you buy a lot of them, or did you just hunt them down one by one.

Pete Rittwage

20+ years of pickups over the years from friends, family, craigslist, Facebook marketplace, etc.

They tend to show up when you stop looking, like women.

-Pete

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 01:42 PM, Andre <andre.atlanta@...> wrote:
How were you able to obtain a "stack" of C64s? Were they donated or did you buy a lot of them, or did you just hunt them down one by one.

Pete Rittwage

Also, back in the 90's they were everywhere in all the thrift stores in Atlanta for $1.  :)

Not anymore, though.

-Pete

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 04:09 PM, Pete Rittwage <peter@...> wrote:
20+ years of pickups over the years from friends, family, craigslist, Facebook marketplace, etc.

They tend to show up when you stop looking, like women.

-Pete

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 01:42 PM, Andre <andre.atlanta@...> wrote:
How were you able to obtain a "stack" of C64s? Were they donated or did you buy a lot of them, or did you just hunt them down one by one.

CRC

Can't complain - it's not like they're going to go back in time and make more! Doing great work making space in your life for old hardware like that.

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 4:09 PM Pete Rittwage <peter@...> wrote:
20+ years of pickups over the years from friends, family, craigslist, Facebook marketplace, etc.

They tend to show up when you stop looking, like women.

-Pete

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 01:42 PM, Andre <andre.atlanta@...> wrote:
How were you able to obtain a "stack" of C64s? Were they donated or did you buy a lot of them, or did you just hunt them down one by one.

Pete Rittwage

I can't let them go to the trash, so I always rescue them if the owner is reasonable.

I also have an slight OCD issue where I hate to own broken things, so I have to fix them all.

Anyone in this hobby knows they break just sitting on the shelf, even stored in perfect conditions. They turn yellow, the chips go bad, they corrode. It happens to them and us. :)

-Pete

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 04:12 PM, CRC <heuwyn@...> wrote:
Can't complain - it's not like they're going to go back in time and make more! Doing great work making space in your life for old hardware like that.

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 4:09 PM Pete Rittwage <peter@...> wrote:
20+ years of pickups over the years from friends, family, craigslist, Facebook marketplace, etc.

They tend to show up when you stop looking, like women.

-Pete

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 01:42 PM, Andre <andre.atlanta@...> wrote:
How were you able to obtain a "stack" of C64s? Were they donated or did you buy a lot of them, or did you just hunt them down one by one.

Pete Rittwage

i.e. Entropy gets them all, and us, in the end.

-Pete